Saturday, November 15, 2008

Spinach and Cheese Goodness


This is a recipe based off of an Eating Well mag that I yoinked from one of my best friends after a marathon of watching season 2 of Dexter...but I digress...

The recipe is linked here. http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/parmesan_spinach_cakes.html
I made an accompanying sauce created while drinking "2002 Columbia Crest Two Vines Merlot-Cabernet" so I wanted to give them the appropriate creative credit they deserve. And I apologize, most of the pictures turned out blurry, "maybe" due to my drinking, and only one decent pic came out, above.

After looking at the mixture following the recipe, I knew there was no way it was going to turn out looking like the end product so I tweaked, eyeballing things in the end. Note: they used fresh spinach which in my past experience has leached out a lot of liquid turning things into mush, so I used a 16 oz bag of frozen spinach, thawed and drained.

Makes 12-ish. Or 6 large.

The nutritionals may be off in my version since I didn't make as big of muffins as they stated in the recipe. But these are great under 200 calories for 2 pieces even in their full size.

Spinach Parmesan Cakes
1 package frozen spinach (16oz), thawed and drained
1 cup non-fat cottage cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
2 large eggs, beaten
2 clove garlic, minced
1/2 small onion small dice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes. pan spray
Finely dice onion and mince garlic. Heat EVOO, add onion and garlic and saute until onion is translucent. Salt and pepper. Set aside.
Make sure you drain as much water as possible from the spinach. Add to bowl. Add cottage cheese, Parmesan, eggs, pepper, pepper flakes.

Add the onion and garlic mixture well. Pan spray LIBERALLY in the muffin pans. Spoon mixture to just below muffin top pan line.

Bake 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until you see dark browning around the edges. My oven sucks and I have gotten used to it, so add another 10 minutes if your oven sucks like mine.

Optional dipping sauce
3 tablespoons non-fat plain Greek yogurt
1/2 Roma tomato diced
small pinch salt
1 turn of ground pepper (lemon pepper even better)
Splash of balsamic vinegar
Dash of garlic powder.

Spoon yogurt onto plate. Place diced tomatoes on top. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and garlic powder on top. Splash a few drops of balsamic vinegar on top. Enjoy!

Ganbai!

1 comment:

lily said...

you are like soooo rachel ray with the EVOO thing. ;)